Last month, we gave listed here the Conference USA and Sunbelt Conference draft prospects. We watched all 7 rounds last week and continue to watch the Free Agency process unfold.
2013 Bowl Alumnus Gets Picked
Ryan Grant, Tulane’s wide receiver, was the leading receiver for the Green Wave in the 2013 New Orleans Bowl. Ryan caught 7 passes including a 49 yard bomb from QB Devin Powell. Grant was selected 142nd overall, in the 5th round, by the Washington Redskins.
San Diego State Sends Two
San Diego State, the 2011 New Orleans Bowl runner up, had two players drafted last week. Nat Berhe was the 12th pick of the 5th round when the New York Giants selected him. Fellow teammate Eric Pinkins was taken by the Seattle Seahawks deep in the 6th round. With addition of the Mountain West Conference as an official New Orleans Bowl tie-in, we will be seeing a lot more of this San Diego State squad.
2010 Bobcat Punt Returner Drafted
In 2010, the Ohio University Bobcats traveled to Louisiana to face the Troy Trojans. Ohio University came up short that game, but Travis Carrie came out a winner last week. Travis was selected in the 7th round by the Oakland Raiders. Travis appeared in the 2010 New Orleans Bowl as a punt returner during his freshman year.
Other Conference Picks
- Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern, 32nd pick, 3rd round, Minnesota Vikings
- Lavelle Westbrooks, CB, Georgia Southern, 28th pick, 7th round, Cincinnati Bengals
- John Virick, OT, Georgia State, 17th pick, 7th Round, Indianapolis Colts
- Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech, 7th pick, 4th round, Oakland Raiders
- Philip Gaines, CB, Rice, 87th overall, 3rd Round, Kansas City Chiefs
- Jonathon Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky, 23rd pick, 7th round, Oakland Raiders
- Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky, 20th pick of the 6th round, Indianapolis Colts
Free Agent Update
- the 2013 New Orleans Bowl MVP, Orleans Darkwa, has signed with the Miami Dolphins as a free agent this week.
- East Carolina’s Derrell Johnson has signed as a free agent with the Miami Dolphins. Derrell started all 4 years for the Pirates as a linebacker.
- Tulane’s Cairo Santos is a great kicker and we predict he will get picked up soon. Watch this guy, he can push the ball down the field.
- New Mexico State’s Austin Franklin was the only member of his team selected for the NFL combine after he declared himself draft ready as a junior. Austin will make a great addition as a wide receiver as a free agent.
- Chris Boswell, the kicker from Rice, was at one time the highest rated kicking prospect at the NFL combine. He was picked up as a free agent by the Houston Texans, keeping this Ft. Worth boy close to home.
- The Tennessee Titans have signed Western Kentucky’s running back, Antonio Edwards as a free agent. Antonio will report to camp in an effort to find his spot on the Titans roster.
2014 R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl
The 14th playing of the R+L Carries New Orleans bowl has been scheduled. Mark your calendars for December 20th at 11 a.m. in the Dome. Like R+L Carriers on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and track the hashtag #RLBowl for news and updates regarding the bowl.